Al Borg Diagnostics
What is osteoporosis, what are the symptoms?
Osteoporosis causes bones to become weak and brittle that a fall or even mild stresses such as bending over or coughing can cause a fracture. Osteoporosis-related fractures most commonly occur in the hip, wrist or spine.
What are the risk factors?
- Women, old age, white or Asian descent, family history of osteoporosis.
- Small body size, as they might have less bone mass to draw from with aging.
- Women at menopause is one of the strongest risk factors. Treatments for prostate cancer , treatments for breast cancer likely to accelerate bone loss.
- Too much thyroid hormone (if your thyroid is overactive or if you take too much thyroid hormone medication to treat an underactive thyroid.
- Overactive parathyroid and adrenal glands.
- Steroids and other medications.
How to prevent osteoporosis?
Some of the most important aspects of preventing osteoporosis include
- An optimal diet for bone health involves enough protein and calories as well as plenty of calcium and vitamin D, which are essential to maintain proper bone formation and density.
- Most experts recommend exercising for at least 30 minutes three times per week, including resistance training, jogging, jumping, and walking. Finding a regular exercise regimen that you enjoy doing improves your chances of keeping up the habit over the long term.
- Avoiding or quitting smoking is strongly recommended for bone health because smoking cigarettes is known to speed bone loss.
- Certain medications can increase bone loss, especially if used at high doses or over a long time. Include: Glucocorticoid, Heparin, an “anticoagulant, certain antiseizure [)Aromatase inhibitors for the treatment of breast cancer.
What is the diagnosis?
Diagnosis involves physical examination, discussion of the person’s history, and measurement of bone density through imaging test, bone density testing and some laboratory testing like:
- Calcium and Vitamin D levels, Thyroid and para thyroid hormones levels.
- Levels of testosterone for men and estrogen for women,
- Renal function tests, Alkaline phosphatase and Beta cross labs.